Throughout your career, you will work with many people who display differing leadership styles. As a nurse leader, it is imperative that you communicate well and get along with those whose leadership style does not align with your preferences. It is also important to understand your own leadership style, as this can prompt insight into how others relate to you and what skills you may need to develop as your leadership responsibilities grow.
· Review the information in the Learning Resources, including the leadership styles identified in Chapter 2 of the course text.
· Bring to mind a leader in your organization or one with which you are familiar. Would you describe his or her style as authoritative, democratic, or laissez-faire? Why?
· Which characteristics or approaches demonstrated by this person would you integrate into your own leadership style? Which ones would you prefer not to integrate?
· Think about how this leader’s style and resulting interactions may impact health care quality and patient outcomes.
On the Week 9 Discussion Board, post 1 page response APA format
1. A description of a leader, distinguishing his or her style as authoritative, democratic, or laissez-faire.
2. Describe the characteristics that inform your perception, and explain which ones you would integrate into your own leadership style, as well as which ones you would prefer not to integrate.
3. Explain at least one potential effect of this leadership style on health care quality and patient outcomes.
· Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2015). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application (8th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
o Review Chapters 2 and 3
· Azaare, J., & Gross, J. (2011). The nature of leadership style in nursing management. British Journal of Nursing, 20(11), 672–676, 678–680.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
The authors examine the different styles of leadership that nurse managers use and discusses how staff nurses in their study preferred managers who use a proactive, articulate, and independent leadership style.
· Benoliela, P. & Somecha, A. (2014). The health and performance effects of participative leadership: Exploring the moderating role of the Big Five personality dimensions European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 23(2), 277-294. doi:10.1080/1359432X.2012.717689
Abstract excerpt: This study suggests that participative leadership may yield different results depending on employees’ personality traits from the Big Five typology. The proposed model aimed to investigate the moderating role of the Big Five traits on the participative leadership–in role performance relationship and on the participative leadership–psychological strain relationship.
· Graham, S., & Melnyk, B. M. (2014). The Birth of a Healthcare Leadership Academy: Lessons Learned From The Ohio State University. Nurse Leader, 12(2), 55-74. doi:10.1016/j.mnl.2014.01.001
Abstract excerpt: The ultimate goal of a leadership institute/initiative is to strengthen leadership confidence and competence for the ultimate purpose of improving healthcare quality and patient outcomes, as well as of reducing costs.
· Zydziunaite, V, & Suominen, T. Leadership styles of nurse managers in ethical dilemmas: Reasons and consequences. Contemporary Nurse 48(2):150-16. doi:10.5172/conu.2014.48.2.150
Abstract excerpt: To explain the associations between different leadership styles, reasons for their application and its consequences when nurse managers make decisions in ethical dilemmas.
· Wall Street Journal staff. (n.d.). Leadership Styles. Retrieved fromhttp://guides.wsj.com/management/developing-a-leadership-style/how-to-develop-a-leadership-style/?mod=WSJBlog
This section of the Wall Street Journal website features a variety of articles and video clips on leadership. The Walden Library also has holdings of Wall Street Journal articles.
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason may is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Our essay writers are graduates with diplomas, bachelor, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college diploma. When assigning your order, we match the paper subject with the area of specialization of the writer.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more