Pacific Century 2: Meiji Revolution (Video made in 1992)
Tokugawa Shogunate Shogun Samurai
Emperor Meiji (1868-1912) Black ship Yoshida Shoin (吉田松陰)
U.S. Commodore Matthew Perry 1853 Shi-shi (志士 men of high purpose)
Ito Hirobumi (伊藤 博文1841-1909, Japan’s 1st & longest-serving PM, assassinated in 1909 by a Korean nationalist while on a trip to Manchuria. This served as a pretext for the full annexation of Korea by Japan in 1910)
General Saigo Takemori (西郷隆盛)- “last true samurai” /led the Satsuma rebellion of 1877 / committed ritual suicide. Saigo’s death was the death of the Samurai class
Fukuzawa Yukichi (福澤 諭吉) Sun Yat-sen Liberal Democratic Party (LDP)
Korea’s Independence Hall
Zaibatsu(財閥, industrial & financial conglomerates)
1. Facing Western imperialism, what were the different approaches adopted by Qing China and Japan?
2. “Tokugawa divided society into four ranks: at the bottom were the merchants; then came the artisans; just above them were the farmers, who gave up half their rice harvest to those at the top, the Samurai.” Discuss the change of roles of the Samurai in Japanese society from Tokugawa shogunate to Meiji period.
3. How did the economic situation transform the samurai’s status in Tokugawa period? What are the names of the two regions that were most anti-foreign?
4. Who were the shi-shi’s?
5. Who was Yoshida Shoin’s major contribution to his country?
6. What were some of the reformist measures that the Meiji Government adopted since 1868?
7. Why was it “paradoxical” that Japan’s “restoration of the absolute power itself enabled the democratization of Japan”, according to Kuniko Inoguchi, the Tokyo-based Sophia University professor?
8. Who was Ito’s idol? Why did we say that Japanese constitution was modeled on German constitution?
9. What were the differences between urban and rural (provincial) Japan during Meiji era? What exports initially paid for Japan’s modernization?
10. What is a Zaibatsu?
11. How did Japan’s invasion and brutal treatment of its Asian neighbors affect its relationship with Korea and China up to this day?
12. How did China change in Japan’s eyes before and after Meiji Restoration (1868)? What territories did Japan obtain after the 1894 war with China? How did the teacher-student complex between Japan and China influence East Asian relationship?
13. How was Japan’s victory over Russia in 1904-05 viewed in other parts of Asia regarding modernization?
� Pacific Century 2: Meiji Revolution, 4 segments in total: No 1, � HYPERLINK “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BQr5nRn_Cw” �http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BQr5nRn_Cw� (14 minutes each); No.2 (� HYPERLINK “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN3ujvsM67U” �https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN3ujvsM67U� ); No. 3 (� HYPERLINK “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnXcYRjYN8” �https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnXcYRjYN8� ), No.4 (� HYPERLINK “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFWSQI8jnXo” �https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFWSQI8jnXo� ). If you would like to see a partial transcript of the video, click � HYPERLINK “http://cla.calpoly.edu/~mriedlsp/history315/MeijiText.html” �http://cla.calpoly.edu/~mriedlsp/history315/MeijiText.html�
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more